Sometimes, you might have a small tree that needs to be cut down. Doing this can be a challenge. But one thing that can make this challenge that slightest bit easier is if you have a chainsaw. Having one of these will enable you get the job done much quicker and much smoother.
For those who are looking to cut down small to medium sized trees, then a chainsaw which will do the job is going to cost you more than $350 but less than $500. In this article, we’ll be looking at some potential saws which could benefit you!
Makita XCU03PT1 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless
The first one on this list is a blue beauty from Makita. It has a 14″ bar and it comes with 4 batteries each with 5 Ah.
It weighs 21.4 pounds and measures 10.6×22.2×10.6 inches.
- The engine is just as powerful as 32cc gas powered chainsaw. This means you can get a powerful cut, with minimal damage to the environment
- With a variable speed trigger, you can adjust the speed, based upon the hardness of the wood you’re cutting. Or to improve the safety.
- Chain adjustments can be done without the need for any tools.
- A built in lock-off lever means the chain will not be starting by accident
- Auto-power off
- Run time is not as long as some customers would like it to be.
- Some parts are made out of plastic which a few people have described as ‘cheap’
- Some users have found it difficult to control.
Husqvarna 450 Rancher 18″ Bar 50.2cc 2Cycle Gas Chainsaw
The next item on this list is from the very popular brand Husqvarna. It has an 18″ bar and a 50.2 cc engine.
- Automatic air injection to keep the engine cool
- Air cleaning system means that no dust or debris will be clogging up the engine. This improves the quality and life of the engine
- Low fuel consumption and reduced exhaust emission, this means that it won’t be all that bad for your carbon footprint.
- The particular link is for a second hand version. Although Amazon claim to have put it through vigorous testing before reselling it, there is a chance that the quality of this saw might not be as high as if you were to buy it brand new.
- As it’s for a renewed version, there might not be all that many in stock.
Husqvarna 460 Rancher 18
Believe it or not, we have two Husqvarnas in a row on this list. This one also has an 18″ bar. It weighs 20 pounds and measures 41×10×14 inches.
- 55.5 cc engine
- 2 cycle engine
- In built chain brake system
- Includes bar cover, and fuel.
- Automatic chain oiler to ensure it’s running smoothly
- Side mounted chain tensioning in order for vital adjustments to be easy.
- Quick release air filter means that the filter can easily be cleaned. This will prevent the engine from clogging up with dust and debris.
- Husqvarna do not have a very good return policy
- Some users have found it to break after just a few uses
- Some parts are made from plastic which a few customers do not like
- Spare parts can be quite difficult to acquire.
- Lubricating oil can leak.
Husqvarna 20 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
Yet again, we have another entry from Husqvarna. This one has a 20 Inch bar! It weighs 12.79 pounds and it has an engine of 460 cc.
- X-torq engine delivers a high torque over a wide rpm range
- Due to the design, it’s very easy to use
- Smart start makes it simple to begin the operation
- Choke/Stop control makes it very safe to use, minimising the chances of injury.
- A centrally based air clean system gets rid of larger dust particles, and debris before it even reaches the filter
- Adjustable oil pump allows you to decide how much oil it gets at one time
- The air filter is quick release. This will make it easier to clean.
- Oil leaks are more common then they should be.
- Does not have the power that certain cutters are looking for.
- Struggles with harder woods.
Echo Chain Saw, Gas, 20 in. Bar, 59.8cc
This next one is actually not from Husky, but is instead from our friends over at Echo. It has a 20 inch bar and weighs 17 pounds.
- Automatically comes with a 5 year warranty.
- Powerful 59.8 cc engine
- Powerful 2 stroke engine
- Decompression valve makes it easy to start by just pulling on the rope.
- Sleek design which makes it look very professional, as well as incredibly easy to use
- Wrap around handle which allows you to get a firm grip, and reduces the impact of the vibrations
- A well established and well known brand
- Some users have trouble getting it to starting
- One user has complained about it breaking early after buying it
- One user got one that didn’t even have a bar
- Certain parts are made out of plastic
- Not got the reputation of other brands.
DEWALT DCM575X1 XR Flexvolt Chainsaw
Our final entry onto our list today is the Dewalt DCM575X1.
It uses 54V and comes a 16 inch bar.
- High efficiency brushless motor to deliver optimum power.
- Chain speed of up to 49 feet per second
- Variable speed trigger so you can go as quickly or as slowly as you would like to.
- Automatic oiling will mean that it’s always well lubricated
- Side mounted chain tensioning for easy adjustments.
- Certain parts are made out of plastic
- Oil sometimes leaks
And there we have the best chainsaws for between $350 and $500. If you’re looking to cut down a medium sized tree, then the ones on this list here are certainly what you need to be thinking about. They will make your job much easier, and allow your time to be free to do the other essential things that need to be done.